Sunday, July 29, 2007

The other day I was getting ready to take Evie to a park. I asked her whether she'd like to visit the busy park (where there are usually tons of kids to play with) or the quiet park (where there is rarely anyone to play with). Evie is a very outgoing girl. She LOVES to play with kids. She is never shy, marching up to kids all the time with a happy, "Can I play with you?"

In answer to my question, she told me she wanted to go to the quiet park because she didn't know anyone at the other park. Boy. Does that bring back memories for me! When I was her age, I hid behind my mom's skirt. I never talked to anyone new. I was quiet and would rather play by myself. Now this is probably due to the fact that I had an abusive father, but whatever. The point is, Evie is completely the opposite of me. But when I heard that answer fall out of her mouth, I had to take a double-breath and think for a minute.

Do I comfort her and tell her that it's okay to go to the park where she can play alone? Do I encourage her to go to the park where there are kids to play with? Do I push or pull back? Questions raced through my head. It's amazing how seemingly little things can overwhelm you so quickly.

I asked her again and reminded her of how much she loves to play with kids at the busy park. She again said that she didn't know anyone there and wanted to play alone, so I said okay, and we went. Things were fine. She had a blast, and a little girl showed up the last 5 minutes we were there, and Evie marched right up and started playing with her - no problem.

But I still wonder. What happens when she's 10 and going to day camps or overnight camps? What happens when she's invited to a slumber party with a group of girls? What about joining sports teams? These were all things that would make me break out in a nervous sweat - and I do get nervous when I think of her having to meet and make new friends. What if she chickens out at the last minute?? What if she senses my anxiety and doesn't want to do it? How in the world am I supposed to raise a normal kid with this many issues?? LOL!

No comments: