Friday, September 19, 2008

Odds and Ends

Man, I worked for about 8 hours today at my desk, and that is not fun! I don't know how people do that every day all day! Anyway, I got to thinking, wouldn't it be great to get some exercise in while sitting at the desk? Short of attaching my desk to my exercise bike somehow (which isn't a bad idea), I found this article of some basic stuff you can do to keep busy. Shoot...I need all the help I can get!

A friend sent me this YouTube video. This is a great message to hear after spending a day full of pulling junk out of a baby's mouth, hearing "Guess what, mom?" ALLLL DAY and responding with a loving, "What hon?", having your nipples pinched (by my sweet little nursing toddler), and explaining for the millionth time "the rules" while playing with brother in the bathtub - no pouring water, splashing, squirting, pushing, or otherwise bothering him. After doing loads of laundry, picking a toothbrush out of the dust bunnies under the couch, picking a baby bottle out of the trash, and trying once again (unsuccessfully) to clean the sticky stuff off of the kitchen table. But anyway... here it is.

Ever made poke cake? No, that's not some perverted way of asking about your sex life...it's currently my favorite yummy treat. It's very easy and super good! In a 13x9 baking dish, bake any kind of cake (for instance, lemon). When it's done, poke holes in it with a wooden spoon. Lots of holes is good. Now, get a large box of Jell-o (raspberry is yummy) and mix it with 1 cup of boiling water in a bowl. Spoon the mixture over the cake. Yes, that's right. Dump it into the holes and all over the top too. Then set it in the fridge to cool. For the frosting, mix a box of instant pudding (lemon for example) with 1 cup of milk. Then fold in a tub (8 oz) of whipped cream. Spread this on top of your cake when cool. This is a YUMMY, easy, fluffy treat. You can mix and match flavors. Lemon and lemon is good. Banana lime...not so good after the first few bites. Strawberry banana. Orange and vanilla? Hmmm...there are SO many options. I must note, this recipe was perfected with the help of my dear friend Renee...thanks woman!!


On a spiritual level (after rambling about food above...sheesh), I feel like I'm gaining some ground (with God's help of course) in regard to my eating addiction. The book I'm still reading (taking forever) is talking about the work of the Spirit in your life and how MUCH the Spirit helps in your times of need. I am really loving Romans 8. It really goes into how the Spirit is interwoven into our lives.
In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will.
I've never really been in a place where I wasn't able to pray. Sometimes I'll be mad and won't want to pray, but does that count? Maybe. Other times I'm busy and just don't want to stop, but I think that's more of an insult to the Spirit. Lately, I've experienced this though. This addiction...this sin...gluttony...what an UGLY word...has me just to such a point where I CANNOT stop myself from getting whatever it is I'm craving. I swear it's just like a drug. But lately, now that I know that He is there waiting to help, I just shut my mind for a second and let the Spirit intercede for me. I cannot believe the peace that comes from doing this. It does give me the strength I need, and I can physically feel the pull breaking from me. At that point, I try to remind myself of how I'll feel if I do go ahead and slip...I'll feel bad, sick, fat, ugly, hating myself, etc. Just where Satan wants me.

Anyway, just keep me in your prayers. This is a tough thing! It's not like I can just walk away from food forever. I have to eat. I have to re-learn how to eat appropriately...not making it my idol. But PLEASE don't feel you need to avoid food around me. That would be horrible. I'm working on it in my own way...and I need to learn to work through the temptations of life. (Renee...make that apple crisp for tomorrow!!!!!!! Can I say that any plainer?? LOL)

Okay, it's now WAY late, and I better get to bed. I had been neglecting writing, and I wanted to get some thoughts down for a minute.

Ta!

No comments: